What is Automated Testing and Unit Testing ?
- Automated testing is executing tests,reporting outcomes and comparing results with earlier test runs. Tests carried out with these tools can be run repeatedly, at any time. The method or process being used to implement automation is called a test automation framework
- Automated software testing can increase the depth and scope of the tests to improve the software quality. Test automation can easily execute different complex test cases during every test run providing coverage that is impossible with manual tests
- Automated software testing is an alternative to manual testing, where software tools execute pre-scripted tests on a software application before it is released into production
- Automation testing is time saving,reduce human resources and fast testing with accuracy
- Some of automation tools are Selenium, Watir, Windmill, Ranorex, SoapUI, Sahi
Unit Testing is a level of software testing where individual units/ components of a software are tested. The purpose is to validate that each unit of the software performs as designed.A unit is the smallest testable part of software. It usually has one or a few inputs and a single output.Unit Testing is a level of software testing where individual units/ components of a software are tested.Unit testing of software applications is done during the development of an application
Unit Testing is performed by using the White Box Testing method.It is the first level of testing and is performed prior to Integration Testing.Unit Testing is normally performed by software developers themselves or their peers. In rare cases it may also be performed by independent software testers.
The cost of fixing a defect detected during unit testing is lesser in comparison to that of defects detected at higher levels.Codes are more reliable. Debugging is easy.
Reduces Defects in the Newly developed features in the early phase
Unit Testing Techniques
Black Box Testing – Using which the user interface, input and output are tested without internal structure of code or program. Read more on Black Box Testing
White Box Testing – Used to test each one of those functions behavior based on an analysis of the internal structure of an application. Read more on White Box Testing
Gray Box Testing – Used to execute tests, risks and assessment methods.