What is Software Testing and Why it is Necessary?
Software testing is a process of executing a program or application to find the software bugs. Software testing is important to deliver the error free and quality product.Our work should be tested by us and also by some other to find the flaws.
It is the process of validating and verifying that a software program or product or an application meets the business and technical requirements as expected.It is important to test the software application completely and check whether it meets all the specifications.Test cases should be designed to check all the possibilities of finding the errors or bugs.Testers should test and write test scenarios in the perspective of customers who is going to work with a delivered product.This will help to deliver product without any complaints.
Types of Testing
1) Static Testing: Static testing can test and find the defects without executing the code. It manually checks the code,required and designed documents to find the bugs. This testing is done to improve the software quality by testing it in the early stages of software test life cycle. It will reduce the impairment cost by detecting the bugs or errors in the early stage. Static Testing is done during the verification process. Verification is the process of making sure that the product we are going to be test, satisfies the conditions stated at the start of the development phase.Static testing is used to prevent the defects and involves checklist and process to be followed. This testing includes reviewing of the documents including source code and static analysis. This is useful and cost effective way of testing. For example: Reviewing, walk through, inspection, etc.It is also called Non – execution technique or verification testing.
2) Dynamic Testing: In dynamic testing, the software code is executed to demonstrate the results of running tests. It runs the software and validates that the outputs with expected results. Dynamic testing is done during the validation process.Validation is the process of making sure that the product satisfies the specified requirements at the end of the development phase.In other words, it will validate the developed product that meets all the requirements specified by the customer. Dynamic testing is used to find the defects and fixing it to meet the requirements. It involves test cases for execution. For example: Unit testing, integration testing, system testing, etc.It is also called Execution technique or validation testing. It can be either black box testing or white box testing.
Why software Testing is Necessary?
There are several reasons why Software testing is important and the major things that we should consider while testing of any product or application.
- Software testing is very important to find out the defects and errors that were made during the development phases
- It ensures the Quality of the product. Quality product that delivered to the customers helps in gaining their confidence
- It is necessary in order to provide the facilities to the customers like the delivery of high quality product or software application which requires lower maintenance cost and hence results into more accurate, consistent and reliable results
- It is essential since it makes sure of the Customer’s reliability and their satisfaction in the application.
- Testing is required for an best performance of software application or delivered product without any errors or failures
- Testing gives more confidence to developers that they developed and delivered a error free and required product
- It’s important to ensure that the application should not result into any failures because it can be very expensive in the future or in the later stages of the development
- It helps to make sure that the result meets the business and user requirements
- It ensures that the software is working as expected and prevent defects
- To ensure that it satisfies the Business and System Requirement Specification